Ingredients (Enough to yield 8 servings or a 6" round cake)
2 egg yolks
30g icing sugar
2 gelatine sheets*
250g mascapone cheese
250g dairy whipping cream
Coffee liquor mixture
10g instant coffee granules
50g caster sugar
150 hot water
10g coffee liquor (I use Khalua)
Some savoiardi (lady finger biscuit) or vanilla sponge cake base
- Soak the gelatine sheets in cold water to soften.
- n a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks till slightly thick & pale yellow in color. Add honey, icing sugar & set the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Mix well & increase the temperature slowly till approx. 65 degC. Remove the bowl from the pan of simmering water.
- Squeeze the gelation sheets to get rid of excess water & mix into the heated egg yolk mixture from Step (2). Add in the mascapone cheese & mix till well blended.
- In another clean, dry mixing bowl, whisk the dairy cream till soft peaks form.
- Add the whipped dairy cream into the egg yolk mixture & fold till combined.
- Lay the base of a 6" round mousse ring /the dessert cups with some lady finger / sponge cake & brush the coffee liqour mixture over generously. Pour in 1/2 portion of the mousse.
- Repeat with some more lady finger / sponge cake, the coffee liquor mixture and pour in the remaining 1/2 portion of the mousse. Spread evenly.
- Refrigerate till set & dust some cocoa powder on top. Decorate as desired. Best served chilled.
Recipe from: 轻松学会做点心 by 吴美珠(台湾)
*The gelatine sheets can be replaced with 8g of gelatine powder. You may reduce the amount of gelatine used or omit it if serving in cups/container. Reducing it will result in softer, mousse-like texture while increasing it will result in firmer, cake-like form.
Baking 101 - As raw egg yolks are used in making tiramisu, heating the egg yolk mixture to 65 degC helps to "sanitize" & kill the germs.