Today is my off-day. Want to bake something for my colleagues & decide on Madeleines. Didn't have the shell-shaped mould so I use other moulds instead ... (^.^)
Lemon Madeleines with Raisins
Baked some using mini-tartlet mould
Cross-section of the Madeleines
Also baked some using mini-cupcake mould
2 flavors. Lemon with raisins & Chocolate with chocolate chip
Ingredients (Yields 24 mini-cupcake or 12 seashells)
2 whole eggs
60g castor sugar
60g unsalted butter
60g cake flour
2/3 teaspoon baking soda (aka bicarbonate of soda)
1 g salt (I use approx. 1/4 teaspoon)
Zest from 1/2 a lemon (I use a whole lemon instead of 1/2)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degC. Grease the pan/mould with melted butter or line pan with paper cups.
- Melt butter using either microwave oven or over water bath.
- Sift flour & baking soda together.
- Add eggs, sugar & salt in mixer or bowl and mix well till sugar dissolves.
- Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and flour using spatula. Then add melted butter & mix well.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared cupcake pan/mould. Bake for 10-13 mins or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool completely and store in container to prevent drying.
This is the basic Madeleine recipe. I thought it was a little plain and decide to add some raisins. I soak the raisins in hot water first to plump them up follow by a little rum to enhance the flavor. One important tip I got from a baking teacher is that the rum would prevent the dried fruits from drawing moisture out of the batter while baking, thus not affecting the texture of the cake.
As for the chocolate Madeleine with chocolate chip, simply replace 10g cake flour with 10g cocoa powder. Sift the flour, baking soda & cocoa powder together. Next, substitute the lemon zest & juice with 10g semi-sweet mini chocolate chip. You may add more chocolate chips as desired.