Friday, May 08, 2009

These Buns Rock ...

I had a rare chance of having ONE WEEK BREAK before I start on my new job & it was great !!! I can sleep in & wake up later than usual, not having to rush for work, have the time to prepare lunch (for myself) & dinner (for my family) & best of all ... had the whole day to myself baking, cooking, experimenting, messing around in my kitchen & trying out recipes I've been dying to do a LONG LONG TIME AGO. It was simply blissful being 1 week of home-maker. (^-^)


After baking the Gateau Au Chocolat (recipe here), I had some time to kill before fixing dinner & decide to do something quick & simple. I chanced upon this recipe accidentally in one of those entertainment magazine & it's really easy plus nostalgic to me. I find it nostalgic as I remembered we used to bake this in Home Economics class during my Secondary School days. It didn't seemed easy to me at that time ... in fact, I hated Home Econs lessons & always wondered why we have to learn about cooking, sewing & all. The preparations, baking & cooking for the exams were nightmares to me but now I actually enjoy & love spending time in the kitchen. People do change, I guess.


According to the recipe. these rock buns uses more butter, resulting in a more fragant & scone-like version. I could have baked mine a tad too long (though I'm quite sure I sticked to the recommended baking time of 15 mins & checked that my oven temp is 180 degC), it was nice & crunchy when fresh out from the oven but turned rather hard when cooled. Mine were a little dry on the inside and not scone-like, different from what I expected.



However, I would still give this recipe a second chance as it's really easy & simple. Something I would do again to satisfy my baking itch when pressed for time. And I think these would serve as very good tea-time snack. But I'll make sure to reduce my baking time or temp or both the next round.

Almost Rock Buns
Ingredients (Yields 16 pieces for me)

100g flour, sifted (type of flour not stated. I use plain flour)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
60g unsalted butter, diced
50g caster sugar
salt to taste (to omit if using salted butter)
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup mixed fruit or chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degC. Grease baking pan.
  2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt & butter in a mixing bowl. Using your fingertips, gently rub butter into flour till it resembles breadcrumbs.
  3. Stir in the sugar, fruits & chips. (I use dried cranberries & mini chocolate chips)
  4. Stir in the egg & vanilla essence; beat till it becomes a soft dough.
  5. Using a tablespoon or ice-cream scoop, spoon the dough onto greased baking pan, leaving some space in between each for expanding.
  6. Bake at 180 degC for approx. 15-20 mins or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment